4 Day Lake Waikaremoana Guided Walk - Hut to Hut
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
Lake Waikaremoana is perched high in the rugged mountains of Te Urewera National Park, amidst the largest area of untouched native rainforest in the North Island. Journey deep into New Zealand's last frontier, a land cloaked in mist, mysticism and primordial forest. This unique North Island Great Walk is a hut-to-hut hiking expedition, circumnavigating beautiful Lake Waikaremoana, the North Islands' deepest lake, with secluded beaches, fascinating history and truly breathtaking views.
- Join a small, fun group led by a friendly, experienced Kiwi hiking guide
- Enjoy 4 days and 3 nights surrounded by unique native bush on this all-inclusive, guided New Zealand Great Walk experience.
- Walk the full Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk track over 46 km or 30 miles.
- Spend 4 to 7 hours hiking each day over varied terrain on formed trails.
- Learn about the colorful social, cultural and geological history of the Te Urewera area.
- No heavy packs: Our support boat transports most of your gear so you'll just carry a day pack with your daily essentials.
- A moderate fitness level is ideal.
- Includes: hearty Kiwi-style meals, grazing platters; complimentary hire of quality backpacks, sleeping bags, raincoats on request; support boat gear transport, return Rotorua transport.
- Departs Rotorua 8:00am on Day One, returns to Rotorua between 5 and 6pm on Day Four.
Backcountry bush huts in spectacular locations - clean, dry communal dormitories with bunk beds and outside, non-flush toilets, no electricity or cell phone coverage! There are no showers or electricity in the huts.
This trip departs frequently over the summer hiking season (October to April inclusive). Custom departure dates can be arranged on request for groups of 8 or more, just give us a call and we'll see what we can do!
For a full itinerary please visit see our website.
Extra questions? Just give our friendly reservations team a call on:
- Freephone NZ 0800 925 569
- Freephone AUS 1 800 646 584